Signs and Causes of Addiction
What Is Addiction?
Addiction is a chronic brain condition that is often characterized by substance use and imposes harmful consequences on one’s physical and mental health. In the past years, addiction only meant to deal with alcohol or drugs. But now, the concept of addiction has expanded to involve in certain behaviors like gambling, substances, and excess of exercising, eating and even using smartphones. Whatever it may be, excess of everything can take a toll on mental health which could proof to be harmful. So, it is always good that you see the best psychiatrist in Bhopal so that you can continue to live your life without depending upon any substance or addiction.
What are the signs or symptoms of addition?
The signs or symptoms vary from one addiction to the other, but some of the most common symptoms of addiction are as follows:
- Inability to stop
- Changes in mood, appetite and even sleep
- Continuing to take it despite negative consequences
- Involving yourself in risky behaviours
- Legal and financial issues
- Losing interest in other things
- Putting the substance ahead of other important parts of life
- Taking more of the substance than you used to take it before
What are the causes of addiction?
Some of the factors that can contribute to develop addiction are as follows:
- The brain: Addiction leads to changes in the brain’s functioning which causes the person to take more substance than usual.
- Family history: One may be more likely to develop addiction habits if you have a family history of addiction.
- Genetics: Research clears the fact that genetics increases the chances of developing an addiction in the future.
- Environment: Some of the exposures like social pressure, lack of social support and poor coping skills can also develop of addictions in the near future.
How diagnosis of addiction is done?
The diagnosis of addiction usually involves identifying that there is some or the other issue. Once an individual has decided that they may be dealing with some or the other issue and need help, the next step is a proper examination done by a healthcare professional by visiting de-addiction clinic in Bhopal. The doctor may ask you certain questions related to your substance use and behaviour patterns. Also, he may examine you over your overall health. The best treatment plan will be developed according to the individual’s specific addiction. Diagnosis is done depending upon the nature of addiction.
Dr. Manish Borasi is Bhopal, MP based psychotherapist and sexologist having years of experience. He is the owner at the Serenity Neuropsychiatry Clinic & is one of the Best sexologist in Bhopal.